On March 27, Morgan County, Alabama school counselors and Director of Secondary Education Patrick Patterson attended an Extended Family for Kids (EFK) Leader Training Workshop in Decatur, AL. They thought their Superintendent Bill Hopkins was only there to introduce the Training. He surprised everyone by announcing he would become a Trained EFK Program Leader, with plans to start a Middle School EFK Group in the 2019-20 school year!
“We trained most of the Morgan County School Counselors in May 2018, but Superintendent Hopkins wanted us back to train the rest,” explained Laure Clemons, Executive Director, Extended Family. “He also had us lead a 2-hour Introduction to EFK Workshop for Morgan County Principals on Mar. 26. Now their administrators have an understanding of what EFK is about, and can support counselors as they begin EFK Programs."
Superintendent Hopkins knows the power of having active mentors in student lives, because he had people in his life who recognized his value and showed him how successfully reach his goals. Although he came from a broken home, filled with abuse, and drugs, he has spent his entire career trying to give back and serve the people and children of Morgan County. Superintendent Hopkins has a passion for leadership and believes all children can become leaders if just given the chance and opportunity.
During the one day EFK Program Leader Training, Clemons led Trainees through all nine lessons of Extended Family for Kids. Counselors also brainstormed ways to identify students in their schools who had a loved one incarcerated, and learned best practices for obtaining guardian permissions.
"These counselors and Superintendent Hopkins knew of many students in their schools dealing with the incarceration of a loved one," Clemons said. "They jumped into the EFK lesson activities, making for a really fun day."
Counselors were asked what stood out for them. A few of their comments:
• The ease of the lessons. The organization of lessons, Making a difference and adding value to lives
• Love hearing the stories, I am excited to start this program!
• Very informative and usable- even in an individual/ one-on-one setting
• Great tools for anyone
• The simplicity of the sessions/plans, Can't wait to do this! Thanks for coming
• The stories told about the students comments & drawings
• Emotional Continuum is something any person can use and find benefit
• I love the openness & interaction throughout, Wonderful Program!
• Personal experiences, examples, etc.… Thank you for your time and energy that you put into Extended Family
• Having lessons already planned out. That is awesome, Thanks for all you do
• I really enjoyed learning about the Emotional Continuum. This will be very helpful, I enjoyed the training!
• Great Program! Love the guide
To learn more about Extended Family for Kids Leader Training Workshops, contact Laure Clemons at 256-927-7997, email@example.com.